A completely new composition in a mix of DYNEEMA®, Elastane, Polyester, Nylon and Cotton. Despite its great lightness, breathability, and flexibility, this newly mixed denim has a high level of abrasion resistance and strength.
Dyneema® Denim, in majority, is a mix of Polyethylene fiber with Cotton. Dyneema® yarn is based on a Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE) which is manufactured using a special spinning process resulting in a fiber that has an extreme high crystallinity with following properties:
- Extreme high tensile strength - Depending on the Dyneema® content in the denim, it is extremely difficult to tear or break the fabric. It is claimed to be 15 times as strong as steel.
- High cut resistance - Denim that contains more than 5 - 10% Dyneema® will have noticeably higher cut resistance compared to regular fabrics.
- Abrasion resistance - Using half the amount of Dyneema® improves the abrasion resistance of a single-layer motorcycle denim with aramid by 70%. The like-for-like improvement is 300%.
- Chemically inert - Even though Dyneema® itself is chemically inert and therefore resists almost all types of chemicals, it is not recommended to bleach, nor dry-clean denim with Dyneema® to prevent quality issues related to the Cotton fiber in the denim.
- Heat sensitive - Dyneema® has a melting temperature of 140 - 144°C and therefore any exposure to temperatures higher than 130°C, even for short periods (seconds) should be avoided. Hence the recommendation to iron at max 110°C / 230°F and tumble dry at low temperatures.